Louise Livingston - Design Leader

Louise Livingston

Pages

prev
Design Leader

The first large-scale project that Louise Livingston initiated after she inherited Montgomery Place was the construction of a large conservatory in 1840.

She directed that the elaborate glass and wood structure, based on designs by Frederick Catherwood, be placed directly east of the mansion, in a very prominent position.

Used for the display of tender tropical plants, this ornamental greenhouse represented the growing popularity of collecting exotic specimens from distant places, a pastime made possible by rapid and regular steamboat and railroad shipping. Louise further embellished this horticultural jewel box by surrounding it with elaborate gardens.

Century plant at Montgomery Place, by J. Coumbe. Albumen stereoscope print, 1873. Bard College, Montgomery Place Collection.

< back1 of 7next >