The Sawkill Creek - Meeting Modern Needs

The Sawkill Creek

Pages

Meeting Modern Needs

In a move that echoed earlier uses of the property’s resources, the Delafields harnessed the Sawkill to generate electricity for the estate and for the nearby hamlet of Annandale.

In 1923, the Delafields hired the J. B. Campbell Company of Philadelphia to build a power station. Water running through a pipe from the dam at the top of the falls provided the energy to power the turbine.

Even though Montgomery Place was connected to the local public utility in 1965, the power plant remained operational into the 1980s.

The power house. Gelatin silver print c. 1930. Bard College, Historic Hudson Valley.

Cover of the Campbell Water Wheel Company Catalog (1932). Bard College, Historic Hudson Valley.

< back2 of 4next >