The Gardens - Time for Beauty

The Gardens

Pages

prev
Time for Beauty

While the commercial nursery had closed down by 1828 when Edward and Louise Livingston inherited Montgomery Place from his sister Janet, the estate's kitchen gardens were still in full swing.

Even though the new owners only used the estate in the summer and early fall, they still looked to their gardens and garden staff to provide food for the table.

For most of the past century, commercial agriculture focused on mass production of a small number of fruit varieties geared to long distance transport and uniform appearance, but 18th- and 19th-century growers and consumers delighted in the great abundance of varieties and their different uses and flavors.

Invoice from R. G. Beasley to Edward Livingston for 300 fruit trees, October 15, 1835. Manuscript Division, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library.

< back1 of 6next >